The school was opened in 1991 teaching Pre-k Kindergarten. Then closed and reopened in 1997 starting with Pre-K and Kindergarten. As the years progressed, a grade level was opened for the students graduating to the next grade. As of 2007 the first 8th grade graduating class matriculated. Today AnNur Islamic School takes pride in its student’s achievements, teacher’s dedication, parent’s volunteers, and community support. We are behind students in every step they take and every decision they make. Teachers focus on identifying student’s potentials in order to help them experience success as early as the first years of school, by providing special education sessions and after school tutoring. We believe every student is unique and if given enough time will reach his/her potential. This is our commitment for parents and students for ever. Our goals for the coming years is to expand and establish the high school, enrich our curriculum and school activities, and ensure that certified teachers will teach our students. School facilities will be improved every year, no matter what the cost will be. We will make sure that our students are stars at AnNur School who will shine also in colleges and the job market. This year expansion will enable us to add 5 new classrooms along with a computer lab, cafeteria, art room, media library and full science lab.
In the 2011-12 school years, AnNur had over 135 students in grades Pre-K through the 8th grade, Full time Nurse, Part time Counselor, New student Lockers, New security and entry system with badge, The school serves the tri-city area of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy, and the surrounding regions.
The mission of the school is to:
• Establish a full-fledged high school in the near future.
• Facilitate a high level of educational achievement and Incorporate Islamic values into the educational system
• Preserve the dignity and values of our children so they may live their lives as true Muslims in this diverse world
• Commit to excellence in education and Foster love and respect for acquiring knowledge
• Provide a safe, secure and loving environment
• Empower our children’s commitment to Islamic values such as kindness, helpfulness, personal responsibility and respect for others and Facilitate Muslim congregational prayers
Encompasses both the required state standards, as well as themes based on Islamic moral development in Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies. Incorporates Islamic principles and values in all academic subjects. Uses the framework of the Tarbiyah Project, a nationwide effort by Islamic educators to provide an integrated curriculum. Uses only the highest quality textbooks. Uses age appropriate Islamic textbooks to supplement the curriculum in order to broaden the students’ knowledge of Science and Social Studies by encompassing the Qur’an, the Sunnah and the history of Islam. Requires all students to take the TerraNova/ITBS Test and the fourth grade students to take the New York State Standardized Test.
The goal of the Quranic, Arabic and Islamic Studies program is to have students achieve a greater understanding of the Islamic faith and way of life. Quranic studies include reading, recitation, memorization and comprehension of the Holy Qur’an. The Arabic curriculum includes writing, vocabulary and conversation. In Islamic Studies students learn the basic pillars of faith, Sunnah and the seerah of the Prophet (pbuh). The text and workbooks used are published by IQRA. Students also learn duas and Islamic songs. Most importantly, everyday they receive (Inshaa-Allah) the reward of praying in congregation.
AnNur Islamic School students will develop love and reverence for Allah and Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) exemplified by:
• Displaying a solid Muslim identity that reflects pride in being a Muslim and a clear sense of mission
• Understanding the teachings of Islam through Quran and Sunnah and their application in the daily life of an American Muslim
• Displaying character, values and morals that are aligned with the teachings of Islam
• Being a positive role model and ambassador for Islam by striving for excellence and promoting good
AnNur Islamic School students will be academically distinguished by:
• Being high achievers who meet and exceed state educational standards leading to success at the high school of their choice
• Developing good study skills, being organized and efficient in their use of time
• Being fluent in the Arabic language
• Becoming self-directed learners
• Being able researchers who gather information, and using critical thinking skills to analyze and present results
• Having an introductory knowledge of other religions
• Being skilled in their use of technology to meet their educational needs
AnNur Islamic School students will be socially well-rounded individuals:
• Being distinguished in their manners, showing respect for themselves and others according to Islamic teachings
• Mastering communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as being effective listeners
• Being able to work successfully in groups, as both leaders and participants
• Acquiring leadership skills, being open-minded and prepared for future academic and social roles
• Being aware of their social responsibility, becoming active in their school, civic and religious communities, and showing compassion and tolerance for others
AnNur Islamic School students will have a sense of physical well-being demonstrated by:
• Maintaining personal hygiene according to Islamic standards
• Participating in age-appropriate sports activities
• Performing spiritual duties of prayer, fasting and pilgrimage
• Displaying modesty in dress and behavior
The school needs everyone’s help. This is our school and its success depends on us. It is academically superior and morally oriented. Please do not delay registering your children.
Allah says: “Say: Truly my Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills of His slaves, and (also) restricts (it) for him, and whatsoever you spend of anything (in Allah’s cause), He will replace it. And He is the Best of Providers.” [Qur’an:Saba:39]
Helping to establish the school and registering one’s child is tantamount to achieving all three deeds that the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned in the following hadeeth and Allah knows best. The Prophet (pbuh) said: “After one dies his actions stop except three things that he left behind: continuous charity, knowledge from which benefit is obtained, and a virtuous child who prays for him.”
To donate to AnNur School, please mail checks to AnNur Islamic School, 2195 Central Ave., Schenectady, NY 12304. Please make the check payable to AnNur School. May Allah (swt) reward you for your donations
Full-time pre-k to 8th grade elementary/middle school. Recognized by the State of New York and in compliance with State policies governing education. Uses a curriculum that encompasses the required state standards as well as Quranic, Arabic and Islamic studies
Visit AnNur School today! http://annurislamicschool.org/